If you are a professional gamer, content creator, data scientist, or a programmer, having a dual monitor setup on windows 10 can significantly help to improve the productivity of your work . while handling different applications simultaneously besides raising the look good factor inside your office. Although setting up a dual monitor configuration is practical only if you can do it correctly. Fortunately, Windows 10 comes with several options and various settings, which allows multiple monitors to be used at the same time without the need for any additional software. In this article, we will be talking about how to set up dual monitor windows using dual monitor setup while you are connecting an external display to your desktop or laptop.
How to Setup Dual Monitor Windows 10:
For Configuring Dual Monitor on Windows 10 First of all, we need to make sure that all the cables which are essential for this setup are connected to the computer as well as the additional displays which are being used. This includes the video cables Viz HDMI, VGA to display socket and power cables between voltage outlet and the computer.
If you are facing any difficulties regarding connections, then you can always search online with the manufacturer’s name and model of your computer to aid yourself in this procedure.
Also Check: How to share steam games
Some steps for rearranging the displays in your PC:
When setting up a dual monitor configuration, you could practically connect a display to any of the available video ports. This might do the job; however, you might face issues when using the input peripherals like mouse and keyboard and running some applications until you are able to rearrange those in the correct order.
Some steps for rearranging the displays on your PC:
- Click ‘settings’ then click on ‘system.’
- Then select ‘display.’
- Then Drag and drop every display in “select and rearrange displays” to rearrange all of them with reference to your desktop’s physical layout for them. (quick note: make sure to align all the displays correctly at the top or else you will face problems when using the mouse pointer between the displays.)
- Finally, select the ‘apply’ option.
Select the ‘identify’ option to see which display you have chosen. If either of the two monitors doesn’t show up in your pc, then check if it’s receiving power and appropriately connected or not. Then click on the ‘detect’ button. If problems still persist, then repeat the above step again.
Adjusting layout and display scale in your pc:
When it comes to connecting multiple monitors to your computer, windows 10 is very efficient in detecting and apply the optimal settings. However, you might have to manually adjust resolution, scaling, and orientation for each display in accordance to your requirements.
How to select the correct scale:
Various settings are there in Windows 10 when it comes to adjust the scaling of different monitors of variable sizes and resolutions in order to make applications, texts, and other things look the same across them.
This is what you need to do to select the scale according to your requirements.
- Click on settings
- Then select ‘system’ inside settings
- Select ‘display.’
- Now select the display that you require to be adjusted inside the option “select and rearrange displays.”
- Try selecting the proper scale in the drop-down menu that shows the options of changing the size of apps, texts, etc.
- Then select “sign out” and save the changes.
How to select the correct orientation:
Windows 10 permits the monitor screen to be rotated horizontally or vertically, which comes in handy when you have displays that have rotating functionality, which allows you to use a different orientation depending on what you are doing.
Here are some steps for changing the orientations of the displays you are using on your pc.
- Select “settings.”
- Select the “system” in settings then select “display.”
- Select the display for adjusting inside the option “select and rearrange displays.”
- Now inside the ‘orientation’ option, you will be able to choose different modes of orientation Viz landscape, portrait, and the flipped ones of both of them.
Besides that, you can also switch between the orientation modes by using ctrl + alt+ arrow keys.
Selecting the mode of viewing multiple monitors on windows 10:
There’s an option for selecting the display mode for your monitors by using the inbuilt settings in Windows. While you are using a second display in your system, you can use either mirror both the displays (primary and secondary), or you can make your primary display extend to the secondary one.
Follow these steps for changing the viewing mode in your pc:
- Select ‘settings.’
- Select ‘system’ in ‘settings’ then select ‘display.’
- Choose the monitor for adjusting inside the option ‘scale and layout.’
Now you can select the modes like duplicate desktop, extend, disconnect this display in the “multiple displays” option.
How to select a custom color profile:
If the displays you have are not able to render proper colors, then you can improve the accuracy of colors of them by using a custom color profile.
steps to adjust the color accuracy of your display.
- In “settings” select “system.”
- Then select “display” and click “advanced display options.”
- For selecting the custom color profile for the display, you want to go to “display adapter properties.”
- Then go to “color management” and select it.
- Now In the “devices” option, choose the display from the list.
- Select the option “use my settings for this display.”
- Select “add.”
- Try locating the new color profile in the “associate color profile” option.
- Install the new profile by selecting the .icm file.
- Then click on “close.”
How to change the refresh rate of your additional displays:
Generally speaking, a refresh rate of 60 Hz is enough to display the applications, images, movies, etc. on your monitor, and most generic ones come with this base refresh rate. However, sometimes increasing the refresh rate might provide a smooth viewing experience in some demanding applications and games.
Follow these steps to adjust or increase the refresh rate of your displays.
- In “settings,” select the option “system.”
- Then select “display” and click the option “advanced display settings.”
- Choose the “display adapter properties” for changing the refresh rate
- Now select “monitor” and inside “monitor settings ” you will have the option to select the desired refresh rate.
Changing the background of your displays:
For a better-personalized experience, you can change the background images of your displays when using multiple monitors.
To do this, use the following steps:
- In “settings” select “personalization”
- Now select “background.”
- Select the “slideshow” option in “background”
- Select “browse” and choose the folder where your images are.
- Now click “choose this folder.”
After you complete all the above steps, the images will be set as the background of your displays, depending on what images you have chosen.
Displaying the taskbar across multiple monitors:
Generally, the taskbar will only show on the primary monitor when using multiple displays. However, the settings can be changed to show it on secondary screens as well. Here are some steps to do this.
- On “settings,” select personalization.
- Then click “taskbar”
- Select “show taskbar in all displays” inside the “multiple displays” option.
If choosing, on what taskbar should the active apps Icons appear, is your priority then select “show taskbar button” and chose the following options Viz “All taskbar,” “main taskbar,” “taskbar where a window opened.”
How to switch off snap assist and it’s other settings:
You can switch off snap assist quickly if it’s creating problems for you by these steps.
- In the Windows search option, go to settings.
- Click on the system then select multitasking from the left-hand side corner.
Now you will be able to toggle some of the settings here in which “turn off snap assist” is also included. There are also other settings which you are allowed to adjust, that is, you can switch windows 10 snap, off completely.
Besides all those instructions which have been given above for reference, here are some additional points you need to keep in your mind when trying to set dual displays on your pc.
- If its not a laptop computer you are using, then you should avoid changing the color of your additional displays or their brightness through software. Alternatively, you can use the controls on your monitors to do so.
- If your pc is not able to detect the second monitor, then, first of all, you need to check if the connections are okay, then click on the detect option inside settings. If the problem still isn’t resolved, later you can try going to the windows troubleshoot option and look for solutions.
- You might encounter a black screen while trying to use multiple displays for your pc and if you are not able to figure out what the issue is, then to contact the manufacturer of your computer or approach the nearest service center.
Dual Monitor set up on Windows 10 is a very useful feature that you could implement in your day to day tasks. It might also let other users use your pc to get your work done as well when the workload is heavy. Duan Screen Monitoring is also a great option if playing computer games is one of your passion. This is also helpful for content creators in various video and streaming channels as they could use the primary display for their work while the secondary display shows the subscriber count of their channels, which is a good thing.